A typical example of “magical” food diets, the cabbage-soup diet is based on the belief that cabbage has “miraculous” fat-burning properties. Cabbage certainly contains an important source of fiber.
No authority claims to be the originator of the cabbage-soup diet.
While there is no official version of the diet, all variants rely on large quantities of cabbage soup and very little else.
Based on a simple seven-day diet, the cabbage-soup diet is very restrictive. It is a low-fat, high-fiber diet which results in rapid weight loss.
The main foods permitted are: large quantities of cabbage soup (as much as possible, at least once a day), vegetables, fruit, beef, a little rice but not all of these together, distributed day to day. Alcohol is not allowed, just water and unsweetened fruit juice when they fit into the diet.
Cabbage Soup Diet Plan
The plan is designed for seven days. Every day permits cabbage soup in large quantities. Thus, besides cabbage soup, you can eat:
- Day 1: any fruit you like (except bananas), as much as you like
- Day 2: any vegetable that you like (cooked or raw, except for beans, peas and corn), and a baked potato with a little butter
- Day 3: any fruit and vegetables you like (except potatoes and bananas)
- Day 4: bananas (up to 8) and skimmed milk, as much as you like
- Day 5: beef (20 ounces), or broiled skinned chicken, or fish and tomatoes (up to 6). At least six to eight glasses of water.
- Day 6: beef and vegetables (except potatoes) a volonte
- Day 7: brown rice, vegetables (except potatoes) and unsweetened fruit juice
Are there other recipes besides the cabbage soup recipe?
- one head of cabbage
- two large onions or six green ones
- one to two cans diced tomatoes
- two green peppers
- four stalks of celery
- six carrots
- one to two packages of dry onion soup mix
- half a pound of green beans
- Optional: black pepper, any herbs, half a cup balsamic vinegar
All vegetables should be cut and covered with water. The soup mix should be added when the soup boils. Boil vigorously for 10 minutes. Cover and simmer until all the vegetables are soft. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chopped herbs or any other spices.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Rapid weight loss
- You may eat as much as you like of the permitted foods
- Rapid weight loss is unhealthy
- The cabbage diet is very restrictive, and can be frustrating. The permitted foods are quite imbalanced. Recommendation: do not go over the seven diet days.
- The diet may lead to weakness and loss of concentration.
For moderate dieters, immediate results may appear rapidly. The cabbage soup diet is not recommended for people suffering from any kind of illness.
If you feel difficult to follow cabbage soup diet and you want to reduce weight in less time, then I suggest you to try safe and effective weight loss pills. Wiki Weight Watchers has listed some of the best diet pills on the market. According to WWW team, Phen 375 is one of the best diet pills. It is FDA approved and safe to use.